Friday, February 10, 2017

Week 23 - Sickies and Kitties

We started out the week in grand fashion with a tummy bug for me (seriously, I'd like to feel well for more than 3 days in a row).  Amber has been having increased symptoms of her gastroparesis which makes it hard to tell when she is sick with a virus  At least we think it's the gastroparesis, although it could be her gallbladder polyp.  At any rate, by lunchtime on Monday Amber decided her she probably had the same virus as me.  It was hard enough to decide that I had a virus given all the IBS flares I've had recently, but deciding Amber definitely had a virus was nearly impossible. But... we both went places Sunday while probably contagious, so sorry everyone.

Weekly Happenings:

I cancelled Amber's physical therapy for Monday because I was in no shape to drive Amber there. I also rescheduled her Tuesday dentist appointment because with my luck the tummy bug would last until Tuesday (it did) and then I'd get charged for a no-show. Turns out, Amber's dentist was also sick and we would have been called to reschedule her Tuesday appointment anyway. It actually appears our entire county is sick. One local private high school cancelled classes today because too many students and teachers are sick. Just reading Facebook posts from local friends indicates a near plague level epidemic of either the stomach sickness (which lasts a good 5-6 days) or the actual influenza. The uptake here is: don't visit our area.

Sick day board games - Battleship and Lego Minotaurus
We still managed some school on Monday because with all the digestive issues we deal with, Amber and I have developed stomachs of steel and powered through our stomach virus. It wasn't a huge amount of school, but it was more productive than most other days this week. Amber finished and turned in her paper for Pride and Prejudice, worked on two grammar lessons, and a bunch of Home School in the Woods Ancient Greece (review coming later this month).  Much of that was done in the guest bedroom with Biscotti and me. Monday was not a day that I much minded having to recline on the bed and rest with my kitty.

Tuesday was our February "Amber and Mom Day", where we don't worry about school for day and do fun things together. I've been giving Amber coupons for these once a month days as Christmas presents for the past several years and she greatly looks forward to our special day each month. Some days we just play video games all day, while on other days we have special outings or events. This month, since we both were still recovering from feeling pretty yucky, we had a fairly low-key day of video games and resting with the sequestered kitty. However, it was a fun bonding time for us where I wasn't the teacher and she wasn't worried about school assignments.

Wednesday was not only Amber's flute lesson, but I had a very early morning MRI at the main hospital.  All of us were up ridiculously early and the day was not a spectacular one. My mom did come sit with Amber while Fred took me in for the MRI. It was just a follow-up to check out a kidney cyst seen on a CT scan for another issue and although this MRI was mostly clean, I will still need another follow-up ultrasound in three months on the kidney. I still need the MRI of my c-spine to help figure out my migraines. It seems this is my year for medical tests and imagining. I go in spurts. I'll have a really bad year and then either manage to stay healthy the next year or forestall the inevitable for a while. 2015 was not a great year while I managed to push off most things in 2016. 2017 is looking to be one of the unpleasant years.

Yes, Amber is starting to look sickly again most days. But here she's cuddling Biscotti and then a picture of Rosetta who is as cute and cuddly as ever.
This was the type of week when I am grateful that we homeschool and have the ability to make up for weeks such as this at other times. Today we didn't even attempt school. I think the contagious part of the virus passed for both of us days ago and we did attend co-op yesterday. However, it takes us forever to heal from anything that affects the GI track. Which means we will feel yucky for a while still and we definitely do. As long as we don't eat, things go great until we are starving.

Kitty Update:

Biscotti had been doing better with his reintroduction until Tuesday evening. There had been no hissing or growling at either of the other cats for several days when the door was cracked open as wide as it could go without our smallest cat sneaking through. This included coming nose-to-nose with the other cats several times and playing with each other through the door opening. We even left the door cracked open for many hours on end, while one of us monitored. Then Biscotti's desire to leave the room on his own terms became too great.

He barreled past me and Fred Tuesday at bedtime when we were refilling his water.  It would have been okay had Biscotti only run into Rosetta, however Milori came from out of nowhere to charge and attack Biscotti.  It took us quite a while to calm everything down and we were all up late on a night when we needed to go to bed early. Biscotti was never the aggressor this time and was fleeing Milori's constant onslaughts. I was able to return Biscotti to his sanctuary room fairly easily once Milori was contained, but that turned out to be the most difficult task. Fred ended up injured from containing Milori, and he even used a blanket. Now we are back to some hissing and growling through the door crack and according to the vet Milori will need to work on his reintroduction to Biscotti and not just Biscotti working on his introduction to the others. Sigh... just, a very big sigh.

Being playful with Amber. He loves to lick forehead and hair.
We are working closely with the vet on this to ensure that the cats are able to live harmoniously in the future. Tomorrow Milori and Rosetta will spend the afternoon in the guest bedroom while Biscotti gets the rest of the house for a few hours. Today he was too nervous to leave his room without me by his side. Poor kitty.

Curriculum / School Update:

As you might have guessed, we did not get back to Tapestry of Grace this week. We did not do anything except the work on Monday and co-op classes (and even at that Amber skipped her first class of the day). Amber and I did discuss what about TOG is bogging her down and we didn't come up with any clear answers. She likes all of it and doesn't want to lose any part of it, while at the same time she acknowledges that she is unable to move through it properly. We will have to think harder about this situation.

It was warmer today and he was happy basking in the sun.  He looks grumpy, but was actually happy. The right side is not angry, but he's trilling.

I'm working on research for next year's school curriculum in order to be prepared for the courses Amber wants and needs to take in tenth grade. We may allow her to focus her work a little more on where she wants to go instead of it being a broader education. I'll see. I'm starting to rethink history too. I did talk about what I'm researching earlier in the week. If you have any input on the curriculum I'm looking at, please comment.

That's about it for here. Time to rest and recover from the week. 

Linking With:

Weekly Wrap-Up  Homeschool Coffee Break


  1. I am sorry for your hard week. It is such a blessing to be about to rework the schedule due to homeschooling.
    Blessings, Dawn

  2. Sorry that it's been such a difficult week with illness and all. I really like your gift of "Amber and Mom Days" - what a great idea! Thanks for sharing on Homeschool Highlights - I hope this week is a great one for all of you!